Kestrel Consultants – Deborah Smith
Deborah Smith is a highly qualified and experienced specialist teacher and Feuerstein trained mediator who specialises in using games and IT to develop Thinking Skills and curriculum knowledge for pupils aged 5 – 25.
She has been a teacher for sixteen years and has worked in a wide range of mainstream and special educational needs environments with children in 1:1, small group and whole class settings in the U.K and Hong Kong. Deborah was assistant manager at The Hope Centre for cognitive education in London and an active member of its highly specialised and dynamic multi-disciplinary team for ten years. She is an accredited Thinking Maps trainer. Deborah has planned and delivered bespoke INSET training to schools across the London area and coordinated many successful outreach projects. Deborah was part of a successful training and mentoring programme in an inner city London school which helped learning support assistants to differentiate and deliver lessons using cognitive approaches. She lives in Maidenhead, Berkshire, U.K and practices in the Greater London and Berkshire areas.
- Dynamic Assessment : Feuerstein’s Learning Potential Assessment Device (LPAD)
- Tzuriel’s cognitive assessments for early years
- Bright Start – Cognitive programme for early years
- Feuerstein’s Instrumental Enrichment Basic (IE – B)
- Feuerstein’s Instrumental Enrichment Standard, levels 1 – 3 (IE)
- Thinking Maps (Hyerle)
- Thinking Maps Trainer Course
- Six Hat Thinking (De Bono)
- Habits of Mind (Costa)
- Philosophy for Children (Lipman)
- Myself as a Learner (Burden)
- Stern structural arithmetic training
- ‘Write from the Beginning and Beyond’, a developmental writing programme using ThinkingMaps
- The Growth Mindset (Dweck)
- The Pit (Ord)
Parent and Pupil Feedback
Thank you for your patience, creative teaching, support, input and being such an important part of Zafir’s development. Mr and Mrs N. parents of Zafir aged 14.
Debbie, thanks so much for all you have done, we can see so clearly what a difference you have made. Ms G. parent of Josh aged 10.
I can see that all your hard work has really made a difference in my life and in my results in my tests. Anna aged 12.
Dear Debbie, we can’t thank you enough for all that you have done to help Anna … you have taught her skills that have helped her tremendously and will help her throughout her life. Mr and Mrs L. parents of Anna aged 12.
Debbie, thanks so much for all you have done, we can see so clearly what a difference you have made.